How does Return and Earn work?
1. Collect eligible bottles and cans.
2. Take your containers to a return point.
3. Earn a refund or make a donation.
4. Connect with your community.
Return point types
Reverse Vending Machines
- Are self service
- Accept up to 500 containers in any one transaction
- Insert container into correct chute for barcode scanning
- Issue a variety of refund types: electronic transfers, vouchers and charitable donations
- TIP: Separate containers by material type before you go
Learn more about returning at Reverse Vending Machines
Over the Counter Sites
- Are local businesses and shops
- Are good for returning smaller quantities of containers, less than 100
- Issue cash refunds and electronic payments
- A great way to support local businesses
Learn more about returning at Over the Counter sites
- Staffed return and centres
- Are the best option for returning larger quantities, but will accept any return amount
- Pass your containers to a service assistant for automated counting
- Issue cash refunds and provide electronic transfers
Learn more about returning at Automated Depots
- Are self service machines
- You’ll find them at at some railway stations, Service NSW offices and Taronga Zoo
- Accept plastics, cartons and cans only
- Simply choose a preferred charity to donate to and insert your eligible containers into the return chute
- Your refund can only be donated to charity
Learn more about returning at Donation Stations
What's happening around me?
$5000 prizes for Return and Earn sustainability champions
Sustainability champions who have worked to reduce litter and encourage recycling through the NSW Return and Earn scheme could win one of two new $5,000 prizes in the 2019 Keep Australia Beautiful NSW Sustainable Cities and Sustainable Communities – Tidy Towns Awards.
Return and Earn network closed on Good Friday
Be sure to plan ahead for your Return and Earn trips this Easter: the Return and Earn network will be closed on Good Friday, April 19 for the public holiday, while Easter Saturday and Easter Monday are set to be very busy days on the network.